Los Angeles Senior Living Facilities With Swimming Pools
Sarah OrdoverJun 20th, 2023
Splish! Splash! It’s summer! Time to talk about swimming pools in senior living communities. Frequently, when we are doing our initial interview with clients, they ask for an assisted living community with a swimming pool. We are all in on pools. Swimming pools offer great benefits for seniors. But unfortunately, real estate prices being what they are here in Los Angeles, few independent livings, assisted living, or memory care communities feature pools as an amenity.
Benefits of Swimming Pools
1. Physical exercise: Swimming is a low-impact exercise that provides a full-body workout. It helps seniors improve cardiovascular health, increase strength and flexibility, and maintain a healthy weight. Regular swimming can also alleviate joint pain and stiffness associated with conditions like arthritis.
2. Reduced injury risk: The buoyancy of water reduces the impact on joints and minimizes the risk of falls or injuries that can occur with other forms of exercise. This is particularly beneficial for seniors who may have balance issues or mobility limitations.
3. Social engagement: Swimming pools offer opportunities for socializing and building relationships with other residents.
4. Mental well-being: Swimming and water-based activities promote relaxation and stress reduction. It can help seniors alleviate anxiety, improve mood, and enhance overall mental well-being.
So, Which Los Angeles Senior Living Communities Have Swimming Pools?
Assisted living and independent living communities with swimming pools in the Greater Los Angeles area are few and far between. Certain providers make it a key element in their design. The Village at Sherman Oaks and The Village at Northridge, two Senior Resources Group (SRG) properties in Los Angeles, have terrific, large, heated pools and very active water exercise programs. We are particularly impressed with Tanya, the fitness instructor at Village at Sherman Oaks, and her pool-based programming.
Several Belmont Senior Living communities have swimming pools. In Los Angeles, Belmont Village in Westwood, Belmont Village Rancho Palos Verdesand the Belmont Village in Calabasas have heated pools and a water aerobics program.
The Variel in Woodland Hills boasts a large indoor pool and jacuzzi and a full activity menu. Other senior living communities in Los Angeles with swimming pools include Silverado Memory Care in Calabasas and Villa Gardens in Pasadena.
Water-Based Activity Programs
Some of the popular and effective exercise options offered at these Los Angeles independent an assisted living communities includes:
1. Water Aerobics: Water aerobics classes are gentle yet effective workouts conducted in shallow or waist-deep water. These classes typically include low-impact exercises such as arm and leg movements, stretching, and cardiovascular exercises. Water resistance helps build strength and endurance while minimizing joint stress.
2. Water Walking or Jogging: Walking or jogging in water provides a low-impact cardiovascular workout that strengthens the heart and muscles without putting excessive strain on the joints. Elderly individuals can perform these activities in the shallow end of the pool, using buoyancy belts or floatation devices if needed.
3. Water Resistance Training: Water provides natural resistance, making it an ideal medium for strength training exercises. Using water dumbbells, resistance bands, or other aquatic equipment, seniors can perform exercises like bicep curls, leg lifts, and chest presses. These activities help improve muscle tone and overall strength.
4. Aqua Yoga or Tai Chi: Adapted versions of yoga or tai chi can be practiced in the water. These gentle movements promote balance, flexibility, and relaxation. Aqua yoga or tai chi classes are often conducted in a calm and supportive environment.
5. Aqua Zumba: Aqua Zumba combines dance and aerobic movements with the resistance of water. This high-energy workout improves cardiovascular fitness, coordination, and overall body strength. It's a fun and engaging option for seniors who enjoy dancing.
Call Assisted Living Locators to Make The Right Decision
Of course, pools should not be the only criteria when you are searching for "assisted living near me." Assisted Living Locators experts will help you fine-tune your search to make sure you are taking all factors into account when making this most important move for a loved one. Our service is free of charge to our clients.
Assisted Living Locators Los Angeles owner Sarah Ordover is one of LA’s top senior living advisors. Certified in dementia care, Sarah is a trained aging specialist who holds an RCFE assisted living administrators license. Sarah thoughtfully guides families through the senior living decision-making process, helping them find the best solution for their loved ones. Call Sarah at 310-853-8282 for a consultation. Assisted Living Locators is free to clients.