Which Senior Living Option Is Right For Me?
Sarah OrdoverJul 12th, 2022
Senior living communities are centers of activity where residents enjoy friendly neighbors, luxury amenities, and wellness resources located just steps away from their apartments. However, seniors and their loved ones can quickly become overwhelmed and even confused when searching for a senior living community. Not all senior living communities are meant to serve every older adult; community design and staffing are specialized to assist residents with their specific needs and challenges.
Knowing which type of senior living could be best for your current and future needs is the first step to making a confident decision. Three of the most common types of senior living communities are: independent living, assisted living, and memory care.
Designed for older adults who are ready to say goodbye to homeowner responsibilities, such as lawn care and housekeeping, independent living communities offer a resort lifestyle. Many have luxury amenities such as swimming pools, putting greens, and beautiful trails for residents to enjoy. Exceptional communities offer a variety of apartment floor plans, as well as wellness resources, life enrichment activities, and even concierge services.
Independent living might be the right choice for you if you:
- Are tired of spending your days cleaning the house and wish you had more time to pursue your hobbies.
- Love to make new friends and create social relationships with neighbors.
- Wish for an easy way of transportation to your favorite spots in the neighborhood without the worry of traffic and parking.
- Want to take advantage of wellness resources in order to stay healthy and active.
- Are overwhelmed or tired of cooking daily meals for yourself and would love having a chef take over that task for you.
- Don’t need any hands-on assistance for daily activities and can get around independently throughout the day.
Offering round-the-clock caregivers to provide personalized assistance to residents, assisted living communities are ideal for seniors who could benefit from extra peace of mind and help with daily tasks. These communities are beautiful and feature community spaces that enhance connections between residents and staff. Assisted living communities also offer luxury-style amenities and perks that can include pet-friendly accommodations, concierge services, and life enrichment events and trips.
Assisted living could be best if you:
- Feel nervous, fearful, or unsafe living at home alone.
- Need caregiver assistance readily available.
- Miss a busy social calendar and feel lonely at home most days.
- Have fallen at home in the past year.
- Struggle to keep up with your medication schedule.
- Wish someone could take over preparing meals for you three times daily.
- Feel exhausted after completing daily hygiene tasks such as dressing or showering.
The most specialized of senior living communities, memory care neighborhoods are designed to meet the challenges that come with living with Alzheimer’s disease or another type of dementia. They are cozy and comfortable, designed to feel just like home. Events and activities are created to enhance socialization and wellness.
Memory care could be best if you or your loved one:
- Has a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease or another type of dementia.
- Is unsafe living at home alone.
- Would benefit from round-the-clock care and proper social stimulation.
Choosing A Senior Living Community
Choosing a senior living community is a personal decision, but the process should not feel daunting or confusing. Don’t put off the decision any longer. The experts at Assisted Living Locators Los Angeles will carefully analyze factors such as medical needs, lifestyle choices, location, activities of daily living and more to find the right plan and place to meet your needs.
Assisted Living Locators Los Angeles owner Sarah Ordover is one of LA’s top senior living advisors. Certified in dementia care, Sarah is a trained aging specialist who holds an RCFE assisted living administrators license. Sarah thoughtfully guides families through the senior living decision-making process, helping them find the best solution for their loved ones. Call Sarah at 310-853-8282 for a consultation. Assisted Living Locators is free to clients.